Saturday, May 24, 2008

Legend of the Hidden Temple


Today we went to Angkor Watt. Terri and I grabbed breakfast at this mini-mart down the street we discovered. I am so glad we did too because it has some of the much needed food staples: peanut butter, granola bars, diet coke, etc. After that we piled into two vans and headed to the temple. The first temple we stopped at looked like it was from an Indian Jones movie. It was so much fun to crawl around and see all of the complex rooms and hallways. I tagged onto the back of a tour for a while and found out that the temple complex was discovered by a French explorer, and it is roughly the size of the city of Los Angeles. The next temple we went to had these amazing trees all over the place. Some of them looked like they were growing right out of the rocks. We all got our picture by this one tree that was filmed in the Tomb Raider movies. At the last temple we stopped at, we ate lunch in the grassy area right outside the gates. We had bought some extra sandwiches to give to come of the street kids there that usually sell souvenirs like postcards and bracelets. The kids were all so nice and friendly. Most of them spoke English really well, and several of them knew about seven different languages. That is so amazing to me! I guess that is a skill they needed to pick up in order to survive. They were all so generous, too! Even though they had almost nothing, they still wanted to make us gifts and spend time with us. After lunch, we all went into the main temple, which was gigantic! It was kind of overwhelming to see all of it. It took us about ten minutes to walk through the outer gates and get into the actual main temple area. Just as we were about to start our trek back to the van, it started pouring. It was kind of funny to see every one from our group running through the rain with all the street kids following us. When we made it back to the guest house, we all showered and changed. Then Terri and I joined AFC with their singing practice. I guess wherever they go in Thailand, they give a little performance to the kids they are working with. These Aggies don't mess around with their singing though. This practice was definitely no walk in the park. It was a sing song caliber practice; I was preparing myself to be lectured on my poor diction or sloppy choreography :). After practice we all went to eat at the Blue Pumpkin, which is supposed to be the local hangout. They had some good food, which was kind of a relief. After dinner we had our meeting/devo, and then I was ready to hit the hay.

2 comments:

Alex Vaughn said...

I LOVED that TV show!

tanya gottlich said...

I love the stories and pictures. I am so proud of you. Take care.