Monday, May 26, 2008

The Perfect Game

It is so amazing to me how friendly people are here. This morning when I was at the computer, a man who was viting Cambodia from utah started talking to me. he was very inquisitive about my trip and why I was in Cambodia. After explaining everything about what I was doing, he went on and on about what a wonderful thing that was. It was such a humbling experience. I really don't feel like I deserve all of the wonderful compliments he lavished on me, and it really helped me appreciate and understand more fully how my actions can glorify God. After that, I went out to breakfast with Natalie Ware, one of the girls from A&M. It is cool to see all of the A&M/ACU connections because I learned taht her sister, Autumn, was in club with me. Natalie and I ate at the Blue Pumkin, and we ran into Kelly there. I have heard a lot of great things about Kelly and all he does with Aggies for Christ, and I am really excited to get to know him more. After breakfast, we all departed for the orphanage. There were not as many kids there, and their English was not as good as the kids for Angkor Watt, so I was kind of skeptical of what we were actually going to be able to do. It was so cool to see how my expectations were completely blown away. I didn't realize just how much we would be able to transcend the barriers between us. In our morning session, I worked with the older kids. There was one girl in particular who I grew particularaly fond of, Lenad. Even though we could communicate about two sentences with each other, it was so much fun playing games and singing songs with her. We took a wone hour lunch break, and Terri and I got some snacks and chilled out in our room at the guest house. The afternoon session was focused mainly on the younger kids. It amazes me how they catch onto games so quickly, and how I do not. I spent half the afternoon playing some hand game that I thought had to do with numbers, only to realize at the end of the day that I was playing Rock, Paper, Scissors. After our group games were over, we had some free time to play whatever games we wanted with the kids. I joined a pick-up soccer game, which was by-far my favorite part of the day. It was so cool to relate with all of the kids through that. I completley forgot that we didn't speak the same language. When we got back to the guest house, I was completley exhausted. John, one of the student leaders for the Cambodia trip, suggested we make good use of our free time by either returning to Angkor Watt or doing a prayer walk at a local park. I was less than excited about either option and reluctantly joined the group going to the park after a quick shower. I was so glad I did though. The park was so beautiful. It put me at such ease to be in this oasis and escape all of the sights and smells that the rest of Siem Reap is full of. The time I got to spend praying there brought me so much peace, and it felt so powerful at this place to pray for all the children we had met this week and the other corruptions Cambodia suffers from. After that, we all ate together at the guest house the Harding group was staying at. I feel like I am finally starting to really get to know the AFCO group and getting past all of those initial get-to-know-you conversations. After dinner we had our debriefing session where we get to hear everyone else's stories and experiences. We also said goodbye to the WYWAM group who had been with us the last few days. I really admire them and what they do. Their ministry is truly a 'walking by faith' ministry, and the stories of what they have done already are really inspiring. After dinner, Terri and I picked up a few souvenirs and then headed back to the guest house to crash. I think today has been the best day so far. I am finally starting to feel more accustomed to this new culture and environment, and I just hope the rest of the summer is as wonderful as this first week has been!

No comments: