Friday, May 23, 2008

Road Trip


The first part of this trip has been kind of hard. Our flight got in a little later than expected, and by the time we got to the church where we were staying, we only had about three hours to sleep and repack before we had to leave again for Cambodia. I did get to meet all of the AFCO group, and they seem really great. They have a jam-packed summer, traveling around to a different place every three days or so. I think I will be glad when I can stay in one spot for a while.
We spent pretty much all day on the bus. We stopped at the border to have lunch and get our visas to Cambodia. After that, they told us we were going to do some "traveling by faith" because getting around Cambodia is a different story. Kelly, the leader of AFCO, said there is a lot of bad stuff going on in Cambodia and that they are trying to recover from some really horrible things in their past. We weren't able to call ahead and book transportation due to some corruptions with the system, so once we got there we had to wait around for a while to find something that could take us around the rest of the way. Finally we found a bus with air conditioning! YAY!
The rest of the trip we spent driving to Siem Reap. The scenery was so beautiful! It was so green and lush! There were also a lot of skinny cows along the way, which seems kind of like an oxymoron. We finally made it to the guest house where we were staying. The rest of the night we ate dinner, had a short meeting/devo, and went to bed. I was so excited about going to bed! It was the first time Terri and I had really slept in about two days. Dinner was pretty crazy though. Halfway through our meal this cat ran out of the kitchen with a giant rat in its mouth. I'm not used to many things like that happening at home. Tomorrow we are going to Angkor Watt, so I am pretty excited about that! Until then . . .

No comments: