
It has been so hard for me to wake up lately, but I did mange to make it up this morning to run before equipping time. We were supposed to go to the woods today to practice solitude for Terri's lesson, but it was raining. So instead Terri gave here lesson at the zone, and we made a plan to postpone our outdoor excursion for a later date.
Lunch was on campus again, and I met this boy named Nan at the Canteen. He spoke very little English, so our conversation was quite limited. He was also kind of gross to watch eat because he would spit out food when he talked, but he was pretty entertaining. I invited him to cell group, and he actually seemed interested in coming. When I was finished eating, I met Melanie at the Payap coffee shop to hang out with her and talk for a while. We had both been considering deferring our enrollment in grad school and staying on as interns here for a full year, so we kind of wanted to talk about how we were feeling about that. Melanie has been so great to get to know this summer-I can't believe we didn't hang out more in Abilene!
At about 3:30, we all got ready to go to the American consulate with Chris and Casey for a July 4th celebration on July 3rd. I am not too sure why it was planned out like that, but I was excited nonetheless. July 4th is one of my favorite holidays-I love fireworks! ! ! At the consulate, it was so weird to see so many Americans in one place. I realized just how silly and loud we can all be when we get together. There was so much stuff to see and do there. I hit up the hot dog stand almost immediately, and shortly after that I signed up for a watermelon eating contest. After I signed up, I realized that I am not a huge watermelon fan, but I couldn't resist the thrill of competition. The contest was a lot of fun, even though I didn't make a very good showing. When my watermelon was semi-digested I made a visit to the ice cream stand before participating in the egg head contest with Whitney. This consisted of me cracking eggs over Whitney's head to see which ones were hard-boiled so that she could peel them. We made a pretty good team. We left pretty quick after that because Whitney was started to bake in the sun with all of her egg yoke on her. We made it back in time for all of us to change and make it down in time for cell group.
At cell group, we played Look Down, Look Up, and then P'Wut gave the lesson on diligence with your faith. I haven't ever really heard him talk about his faith before, so it was pretty cool to hear. Before Robert left, he had told us to pray for the zone to bring out new leaders in the church here, and I think P'Wut would definitely do a great job. He seems very mature and respected here, and I hope we can give him the encouragement he needs to be more confident in himself.
After cell group, Casey pulled all the interns aside and talked to us about some issues that had been on her mind. Casey has been so great to get to know. Even though her and Chris are so young, the way they live their lives is so mature and admirable. Maggie and Melanie are so lucky to have them as parents! When it was time for them to head home, I stayed downstairs and talked to P'Wut for a bit before I headed for bed as well.

No comments:
Post a Comment