Friday, July 4, 2008

the stars at night are big and bright


HAPPY JULY FOURTH! ! ! All the Farongs were decked out in the patriotic attire for equipping time this morning, which also happens to be the national colors of Thailand as well-that works out nicely!. After our John discussion, I decided to go running during the last half of my quiet time. I needed to finish up one of the Ray Vanderlaan sermons that I had started a few days before, but once I started running, I decided to take a break from my ipod and pray instead. Besides praying for survival on my runs, I had never really done that before and it actually ended up being kind of cool. I may have to do that again in the near future.

During equipping, Whitney talked about submission, which is kind of ironic because she is the most feminist one out of all of us as far as church matters are concerned. She did a really nice job though.

Lunch was on campus again today, and Whitney and I met up with Cyreal, a Payap student from Cameroon who had been to cell group a few times. He introduced us to his friend Marie from France. I think it is so cool that they both met each other here in Thailand, and yet they are able to speak to each other in French. They were both really fun to talk to. A lot of times I forget Cyreal isn't from America because he is black and speaks English so well, but I am quickly reminded of that after asking him very American questions and receiving very non-American answers. He is really smart though. He told me that he knows five languages! WOW!

When Marie and Cyreal went to class, I quickly headed back to the zone so that I could pack for English camp. The first trip out was going to leave at 3, so I had a little time to kill. I decided to play Thai Rummy with Chris and Ball for a while. Thai Rummy is pretty much like regular Rummy except with a few Thai twists. I wasn't too experienced with either versions, but I ended up being halfway decent. In fact, I even managed to win a round or two.

When it was time to leave for English Camp, I hopped in the truck with Asia, P'O, and Butter. On the trip up there, they taught me how to sing Blue Skies and Rainbows in Thai. I think they may have regretted their decision to do that though because learning things in Thai means that they have to sing it over and over again. They were all pretty good sports about it though, and I eventually got down the first verse and the chorus.

The cabin we stayed at was on a coffee bean plantation in the mountains, and it was beautiful! I was so glad we had come early so that I could have a chance to enjoy it before the rest of the group arrived and the festivities had to begin. We had a good three hours to kill before the second group arrived, so we all talked and hung out on the porch. It was fun to do that and not feel like there was anything else I had to do. The other group came in full force on schedule. There seemed to be so many of them! When they arrived we all had some free time to hang out and eat dinner before the devo started. At the devo, we sang my newly learned Thai version of Blue Skies and Rainbows. After the devo, we all played this game that I called "Gone With the Wind". It is a relay where each person has to blow a plastic cup along a string down to the end and back. Since P'Wah and I were in charge, we didn't play, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching everyone. I think Melanie was the best-it took her forever to make it down to the end because she was laughing so hard. After the game, we all kind of hung out until it was time to go to bed. I think those are my favorite times. I love talking and laughing with all of the Thai people-they have such a strong sense of fellowship with each other. When I deemed myself useless for any further activities, I brushed my teeth and curled up in my sleeping bag.

No comments: