
Larry said he was going to let us sleep in some so that the girls could recover from their travelling adventures. I decided to sleep in too, but I still woke up early on my own. I hate it when that happens! I read for a while in a book I just started: The Irresistible Revolution. It definitely challenges you and how you think about your faith. At about nine, we all got up and dressed, and then packed up our things. We have quite a load between the five of us. Larry wasn't quite ready to leave for the airport, so we all went out to grab some breakfast. I got some pineapple, which was, again, excellent! I also tried a new fruit called Sala. They were surprisingly good, and I was pretty pleased with myself on my fruit discovery. We also all got to have the first time experience of coffe and tea in a bag-another good discovery. After our culinary adventures, it was time to leave for the airport, so we all loaded up the van and hit the road. We checked in and made it through security without much difficulty. At our gate, we all got some lunch at Burger King and hung otu for a while until it was time to board. Larry met us there after checking in himself, and he was all excited about running into an old friend who is currently a missionary in Laos. He told us how dangerous it is for Christians in Laos right now, and how a few years ago almost the entire congregation was arrested. They let the children and elderly go fairly quickely, but they held 13 members in prison for over a year. Now that they have finally been released, they have to be even more careful of how they worship and even keep in contact with other people. I can't even imagine what it would be like to live in conditions like that. My life seems like a walk in the park compared to that. It is definitely humbling to hear a story like that, and it makes me wonder if my faith is strong enough to withstand something like that. They will definitely be in my prayers.
The plane ride to Chiang Mai was surprisingly comfortable. Our seats were so big! When we were descending into Chiang Mai, the view outside the window was awesome! It was so pretty and green. I definitely think I will enjoy life here better than Bangkok. After we got our luggage, we met Robert Reagan, our overseeing missionary, and a few other people from the Christian Zone. WHen they saw all the bags we had, they asked us if we were staying two months or two years. I think it defintiely looked like we were moving in with all of the suitcases we had. At the Christian Zone, we were given the official tour, and then we got about an hour to get unpacked. It felt so nice to feel some sense of permanance for a change. I feel like I have been in transit for the past three weeks. After we got unpacked, Robert took all of us to Carrefour-another Walmart equivalent. He let us get some food and other things we might need for the summer. I tried a few new things, but I also made sure to get some dietary staples, like cereal and peanut butter! YAY! We went straight to dinner after that at a restaurant just be the dorms we are staying in. Robert helped us out by ordering several basic dishes for us to try. They all were delicious! After dinner we met some of the people here. They all seem really cool. I am kind of nervous about the summer though. I really hope I let myself open up and get to know all of these wonderful people!
"The Lord Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy, he is teh one you are to fear, he is the one you are to dread." -Isaiah 8:13

No comments:
Post a Comment