Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Get(ting) Smart(er)



It was so hard for me to wake up this morning, but I managed to make it out of bed in time for our morning John lesson. This was Robert's last meeting with us before he left for the states for the rest of the summer. We were all really sad to see him go. During my quiet time, I decided to go on a run and listen to a sermon by Ray Vanderlaan. He talked about the influence of the Jewish faith on Jesus and his teachings. I thought it was really interesting how the most respected Rabbis did not study in a temple all day but spent their time living out the teachings. For equipping time, Lee talked on using your gifts to glorify God. He has had a really cool life, and I really enjoyed listening to his stories. After equipping time, we all changed and got ready to go on campus for lunch. I met two groups of girls who seemed really nice despite our awkward conversations. One group asked me, "Khun chop poochai Thai mai?", which translates to, "Do you like Thai boys?" We all laughed pretty hard about that, and that seemed to kind of ease the awkwardness. After lunch, I grabbed some coffee at the university coffee shop with Jordan and Emily. We met a guy there who is from South Africa. He quizzed us on US politics, which I did not feel too confident in my ability to discuss. When I got back, I had some down time before Pluem came for my first English lesson. It amazes me how much English the people here know. She did really great! After her English lesson, Melanie and I grabbed some dinner at the carts around the zone before we started preparations for movie night. Movie night ended being a complete disaster. Half the people left to go see Get Smart, and when we tried to watch our movie upstairs, the sound was all messed up so we couldn't hear it. We ended up cutting the movie short, and everyone went there separate ways. Hopefully we got all the kinks worked out though, so that next week will go a bit more smoothly.

No comments: