Friday, June 27, 2008

Only Ice Cream, Never Sundaes


I slept in today to the latest possible time before equipping. Jordan was leading it on the spiritual discipline of study. Being the only guy in our group, he definitely offers a refreshing and different point of view. After equipping time, we all loaded up in the Jao Ford to meet at Yam and Butter’s house for lunch. Their family had invited all the interns over for Jordan to fix us lunch. He made orange chicken with rice and had ice cream with praline sauce for dessert. It was so good! I really had fun with Butter and Yam, and their house was so beautiful! It looks like something out of a magazine. It was also really fun to talk to everyone. I’ve really enjoyed getting to know the families here. It is really rare to come across an entirely Christian family-most of the time it is just a single person who has converted to Christianity in a family. After lunch, we all headed back to the zone. I had asked P’Pui to hang out, so that I could spend some time with her. She is pretty much the glue that holds everything together, and the longer I am here, the more I appreciate her and everything she does. We ended up going to Swenson’s and getting more ice cream. I guess we kind of lost track of time because we had to rush back to the zone for my English lesson with Pluem. We learned about games and played Uno to work on vocabulary. I think she enjoyed it quite a bit. After her lesson, we were all sitting around trying to decide what to do for dinner and the rest of the evening. Marvin came in and suggested going to see a movie at Robinson’s. Marvin’s truck couldn’t hold very many people inside, so most of us rode in his bed, which was quiet an adventure. I wasn’t very hungry for dinner, so I went and got coffee with P’O instead. He is really great! He is so good about asking how things are going with me and the internship here. He seems to genuinely care about me and the other interns. While we were drinking our coffee, he helped me out with some of my Thai, which was really great. At about 8:20, we left to go see the movie. We ended up seeing Wanted, which was good but intense. After the movie, we all came back here and hung out for a while before we went to bed.

No comments: