Tuesday, June 17, 2008

SKEDUSH !


I woke up today and went running with Austin around Payap. It had been a while since I had run with someone else, but we seemed to keep a pretty good pace. After our run, I showered and got ready for the day. We all went over to Sean Todd's house for breakfast and equipping time. He made his delicious french toast again, and it was just as good the second time as it was the first. Everyone else seemed to enjoy it too! They would stand by the kitchen and wait for new plates to come out. After breakfast, Sean talked about the different aspects of mission work. Robert and Kelly also added their input when needed. Kelly told the story of how his family moved to Thailand all because his momo made a cherry pie one Sunday morning. He encouraged us all to really listen to the spirit whenever we get these little nudges. Robert told us to consider others and how we can serve God before we think about ourselves. It was so inspiring, it gave me goosebumps! Melanie and I decided to cut our quiet time short so that we could talk to Robert about a few things. We were both interested in spending a longer amount of time here with their mission work, and we wanted to get his thoughts and advice on it. He seemed pretty positive about everything which was quite an encouragement. After our talk, we all went to lunch at Kao Soi. I got Kao Pad Gai, which is always a classic. After lunch, we piled in the trucks and drove half an hour into the mountains to go to Doi Suthep. I rode in the back of Robert's truck with P'O and mastered the menacing "Na Chen Jai" song. I was pretty pleased with myself at our arrival and sang it to anyone who stood still long enough to listen to me. I didn't really consider the level of possible inappropriateness of singing a goofy Christian song in a Buddhist temple. However, no one seemed to be too put off by me. You had to climb pretty high to reach the actual temple-306 steps (I counted). Walking around was pretty cool at the top. The view was great! When it was time to go back, I rode in the back of the truck again with P'O. THis time he taught me this famous song on a Thai commercial: Do do do do ter tum . . . tum mai tung tum gap chun dai. I feel pretty cool now being able to sing it. We drove back to Chundoi, which is another one of the churches Robert's mission ream started. We were supposed to help out with English class there, but they only needed about four people to help, so they sent the rest of us to go get ice cream. I got Nutella ice cream. The rest of the afternoon Melanie and I started making our act for the talent show the next night. All the ACU girls decided to showcase ACU's talent: Sing Song. Melanie and I volunteered to write the lyrics. They turned out pretty good if I do say so myself. At about six o'clock, I group of us walked to the mall for some dinner. I ate at Pizza Hut with a few other girls. A little before seven o'clock walked back to Chundoi for cell group. They sang "Na Chen Jai", and I got to put my newly memorized song lyrics to the test. P'O Gave the lesson on Phillipians, and he did a great job! He is really funny because he tells all his stories with such emotion. The other two interns gave the mutual edification and vision thoughts for the night. Then at about nine o'clock, we all drove to the mall to see Kung Fu Panda. I was completely exhuasted though and ended up falling asleep during the movie. This should not discourage you from seeing it though because it is really quite entertaining-at least the part I saw was. This was my first Thai movie, which means it was the first time for me to get to stand and hear the King Song before it started. I really enjoyed it. After the movie, we all went home to go to bed.

2 comments:

Alex Vaughn said...

"I didn't really consider the level of possible inappropriateness of singing a goofy Christian song in a Buddhist temple."

Watch for that on my facebook quotes section.

Anonymous said...

excuse me ,but what does skedush mean?