Saturday, June 7, 2008

Milk's Favorite Cookie

I woke up this morning and went running around Payap. The university doesn't seem all that big, but it is so pretty! When I got back from my run, I got to talk to my mom, Alex, and Ashlea on skype which definitely made my day. After that, I wasn't too sure what the plan was because this day was only labelled "Friends Day" on the calendar. I haven't really made a ton of new Thai friends yet, so I felt kind of up a creek. I did go downstairs to see what was happening in the zone. There were a few people down there, so I decided to hang out with them for a while. Pretty soon all the other interns came in and started working on lesson plans for the English Camp. My Thai partner was out of town most of the day, so I did as much as I could on my own. Half-way through, we all went to Carrefour to pick up snacks and other supplies for our English Camp. I decided to get Oreos for my snack because they seemed pretty safe. I mean, who doesn't like an Oreo? After Carrefour, we worked some mroe on lesson plans. I was on my own again, but a Vietnamese student named Tony wandered in, so I entertained him for a bit with Melanie. He didn't speak much English, but sometimes conversations can be more fun that way. Finally, P'Gahn showed up! YAY! We could begin serious work on our English Camp lesson plans, but by the time he arrived, I already had about three games prepared, and he had ideas for about two more that didn't really need any supplies, so we were pretty much set after about five minutes of discussion. That was kind of a relief. After that, we all played a few rounds of cards, and then the zone seemed to clear out pretty fast. The only Thai left was P'O, an intern from the other church. He is really funny! He told us that he was named O and his brother was named K because after his brother was born his mom said, "OK, that is enough kids!" He took the liberty of entertaining us, which was wonderful. We decided to go out to eat at MK along with Chris, a new missonary to Thailand. This was one of those cook at the table restaurants, and I felt kind of bad for P'O because we all kept bombarding him with questions. We all managed to survive through dinner though. Afterwards, some of the girls got dessert. Terri tried Roti, which is this fried dough dessert with condensed milk and chocolate. I had a bite, and it was so good! We went back to the zone after our dessert explorations were over and hung out for a while downstairs. P'Woot was there, so Melanie and I went over to talk to him. We ended up grabbing some songbooks and spending te rest of the nigh trying to learn some church songs in Thai. I had a lot of fun, but my cold medicine started kicking in pretty quick and I was forced to retire early.

3 comments:

Alex Vaughn said...

I made it into your blog! I'm a loser though because I forgot to get on skype tonight. YOU ROCK THOUGH!

RachelCarr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RachelCarr said...

Leah, the titles for your blog entries are the best. I love you and miss you a lot!!